I’ve decided on what interfaces the Pi-Dalek will mounted on the rear of the case.
- USB-B socket to accept power for chrging the internal battery (a mobile phone emergency charger. Internally the socket offers a USB-A socket which is connected to the Pi with a short USB-A-to-microUSB-B cable, then the emergency charger, then another short USB-A-to-microUSB-B cable.
- USB-A socket for memory sticks etc. Connected to the UTG socket with a short UTG cable.
- HDMI socket. Connected to the miniHDMI socket on the Pi with a short adapter cable.
These will be mounted on the arse-end of the Dalek. Two on the 3rd row up of the Dalek-bumps on the rear panel (both USB ports), with the HDMI socket on one of the rear flank quarters (3rd row up).
Ideally I’d like them all on the back, but the bumps on row 1 are blocked by the motor housing, while rows 2 and 4 have far too many structual bits behind it.
This still leaves me with the issue of mounting the camera. While I’d love to have the camera mounted to the eyestalk, this is impractical. Mainly as the eyestalk is missing, but also because the camera module is a huge square blob that wouldn’t look right.
The best I can hope is to mount the camera on the Glacis, between the Whisk and Plunger, just above the top of the skirt. It will still mean that some cutting will have to be done, but it will probably not look as awful.
I’ve also decided that instead of mounting the Pi and Motozero directly to the base chassis, I’ll mount them upside down hanging from the internal ceiling at the top of the skirt. This shortens the distance to where I want the camera to be, and means only 6 wires need to be run down to the base (motor power +/-, motor left +/- and motor right +/-). Everything else will be skirt mounted. So the 40pin GPIO header connection twixt Pi and Motozero forms the split in the arrangement.
A sort of split between the head and body, if you want to make up some sort of analogy up.
I’m sure there’ll be some photos of it when its done.
There is so simple way to do this. I’ve tried several times and failed each time. So here is my idea to make things easy.
- Download your prefered Raspbian Jessie version from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ be it Lite or with Pixel.
- Get and install Etcher, and use that to burn your image to the microSD card.
- Remount the SD card and create a file on it called “ssh”. Create another file called “wpa_supplicant.conf” with contains:
- This should enable you to boot the Zero-W. It should then get an an address for your LAN via DHCP. All you have to do is check you router, or use Fing (or something like it ) to find it.
IT DOESN’T WORK!
Ah. Do you have another Pi with a wired connection somewhere about the place? Good.
Pop your microSD card from your new Pi-zero into an adapter and boot your other Pi (in my case one of my KODI boxes) and boot it.
Find the machine on your network and login (“pi” and “root” have the password “raspberry”).
As root, run
And, while you have a wired connection, install Apache2 and PHP5.
apt-get install apache2
apt-get install php5
Set your new hostname in /etc/hostname now, so you’ll ne able to identify it later.
After thats done, shut it down, pop the card into the Pi-Zero W, and it should come up and appear on your network.
From Fing or your hub you should be able to get the MAC address and add the to your DHCP.
And it should all work.
Additional note concerning #3 above. If you are planning to use it on more that one WiFi network (example: I use my home network, and also the hotspot on my phone if I’m working on it anywhere but at home), your wpa_supplicant.conf file can contain multiple network entries. Thusly:
Put the entries in order of preference.
At last I can paraphrase a Doctor Who serial title again.
This time I’m going to be using a Raspberry Pi-Zero W with MotoZero control board. Gone are the attempts at bashing by own circuitry (which are already in the Model Railway control system anyway), and this time IT WILL WORK!
So, the ingredients for *this* incarnation of the Dalek are:
For now I’ll forego the distance sensors, as I’ve already bashed them into a sort of thermin idea.
Anyway, the key stages for this project are:
To make things easier to track, the new Category Pi-Dalek has been created.